Sunday, September 26, 2010

Opponent's claims

I was absolutely delighted to receive my opponent’s flyer in my mailbox the other day. It is a superb example of vagueness. For instance, he claims to have “approved the first strategic plan in the history of the OCDSB.” We don’t know which mysterious strategic plan he is referring to. First in the history of the board! I hope it was something good.


Under the title “About John,” my opponent lists only four items. The first one is the longest of the four and takes up %47 of the entire “About John” section. It says:


“Born and raised in OrlĂ©ans and homeowner in Cumberland – a fifth generation east end resident”


This reminded me the days when my family and I arrived in Canada as immigrants. My daughter was born in Germany and she was three years old when we came.


The appointment we were given for the citizenship oath fell a couple of days after the federal elections of the time. We called the citizenship office and requested an earlier date so that we could vote in the elections. Although the ceremony dates are quite full and determined long time in advance, our request was immediately granted. They were pleased to do it, they said, to encourage us, as new citizens, to be involved citizens. That was when my conviction in Canada’s democracy was reaffirmed.


At the ceremony, after we took the oath, the citizenship judge told us that Canada was now richer than it was moments ago.


I believed it then, I believe it now. For the past twenty years, I strove to make Canada richer and richer everyday. And now, I am humbled and honoured by the privilege of being able to take part in elections so that I can become your next school board trustee.


Lale Eskicioglu


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice response, Lale!

    I hope your campaign is going well.

    ReplyDelete